Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Staking proposition

I was approached recently by a player about staking them. I usually try to stay away from staking deals for the most part, since you hear a lot of bad stories about them, and it's so hard to track. Staking for those of you who don't play poker, is when someone invests, so to speak, in another player. They put up the money for the player to play the games, and receive a certain % of their profits for providing the stake.

I coached this player before, so I know he's a decent player. So it has nothing to do with him about my hesitation in staking him, it's just that I try to stay away from the business in general. There's actually a kid I know of who's like 18 and has supposedly made hundreds of thousands of dollars from staking players, so it can definitely be very profitable. It's just another thing to have on my plate/worry about. He only needs a small investment, probably a few thousand, so I may end up helping him out. We'll see, I'm still debating.

6 comments:

RicciNas said...

Hi nice blog :-)

I'm just a micro stakes player from Belgium, playing 25NL & 50NL...so nothing special.

I'll link to your blog, so now you even have a contact in Belgium :-)

Greetz,

Ricci

Anonymous said...

Snowy your blog is almost dead mate, revive it NOW ! ;)

Oh and you also have a contact in Netherlands gratz lol...


-Freelancer

Lee Gaines said...

Hey Bill,
When I went to TS, I was surprised to find out how many online pros were staked. I would say about 75% of the players I met there were staked, so there must be a lot of money in that field. Most of them were MTT players, so I don't know if staking people for cash games is as profitable as MTTs. I have been thinking of getting into staking too. Let me know what you find out.

Lee

Anonymous said...

what stakes do you play online and what is your name, you seem to be talking like a big dog, what does your net worth look like

Anonymous said...

snowbank, ive seen you play before and am impressed by your success, i am currently beginning to play 1/2 nl online seriously, would you recommend multitabling 6 or 9 person tables?

snowbank said...

Thanks Ricci!

Freelancer, I'm back- been a crazy week.

Lee- I've got tons of ideas with staking. Don't want to post publicly on here, but I'll talk to you on AIM or give you a call sometime to chat. Congrats on doing well in NY.

anonymous 1- I play mostly 1/2nl and 2/4nl online. Live- 5/10nl.

anonymous 2- Thank you. If you are getting into the cash games it depends on what you like. The 6 max games will be more aggressive and the better players will have a bigger edge in these games because of increased hand ranges, aggression, lots of isolating weaker players, etc... The 9-10 player games are more nut-peddling, waiting for big hands. I'm a 6 max player so I obviously favor 6 max.