Sunday, June 24, 2007

Prodigys in the making

The student I mentioned in the June 12th post has been doing real well. After about a week or so he was already up around $5k. He's had some internet problems in the last week, but is still well on pace to hit the $15k goal we set for him. I can't take much credit, he's been grinding, putting a lot of hands in and doing real well. We've only done a couple sessions.

I've also started helping my brother get started in poker. Since we're living together this summer he's been watching me play some of my sessions and asking me questions, and I'm trying to turn him into the next small stakes superstar. I wrote him out a hand chart I wanted him to use, and I've been watching him play a bit to make sure he's doing okay. He just started up this last week with a bankroll of $90, and has already turned it into like $160. I have him just playing the penny tables. The plan is to have him play the .01/.02 tables until he reaches $200. Then I'm going to have him play the .02/.05 tables until he reaches about $300. Then I'm going to have him play the .05/.10 tables until he hits $500, where he'll move to the .10/.25 tables. When he gets to that point, that's when he can start making some decent side money. He's working a full time job this summer, so he's just playing a couple hours here and there when he's off from work. I'm hoping I can get him to the point where he's making a decent hourly rate so he'll have a good side income when he goes back to school in the fall.


Here's a couple hands with a fish that I played with the other day that was followed by some chat:

I'm playing this guy heads up at $2/$4 no-limit. One hand he raises, and I re-raise QQ to $55. He calls. The flop is 6-8-T. I bet, he pushes, and I call. I think he only had like $300ish so there's like $600 in the pot. He flips over K9 for the inside straight draw, and ends up hitting on K on the river. I think he says something, trying to taunt me or something. Then a few minutes later this hand comes up: I raise to $14 from the button with 66. He calls. He has just over $600 and I cover. Flop is QKJ. He checks and I check behind. The turn is a 6 and he checks. I bet $27 and he min raises me to $54. I call. The river is a K. He checks and I bet $135. He pushes all-in for $539. So I start wondering if he could have KQ or KJ here for the higher full house. He easily could since he check raised the turn, but it's doubtful he's checking two streets with hands like that since I was the pf raiser and he'd probably at least bet the turn. His hand seemed more like AT which he was slowplaying the flopped nuts. If I was wrong, he still might have pushed any K all-in on the river there. I called him, he showed AT and and I took down the pot. He was not happy:

snowbank wins $1,214.70 with Full House, Sixes full of
Kings
fish: fukc you
snowbank: ;)
fish: this site is full of $hit
fish: fukc you
fish: fukc you
fish: you ruined my life
fish: fukc you
fish: you lucky piece of s**t
fish: you cheat
fish: you piece of fukcin s**t

No comments: