Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Looking for a coach

I've been looking for a poker coach the past week or so. I've been playing mostly $400nl games for the past few months, and had a lot of success in them. The money is great, but I'm pretty much just grinding, and not improving, which is usually fine for me since I'm trying to make a lot of money, but recently I've had the desire to get a lot better and start playing high stakes online. In order for me to do this the best way possible, I think I'll need to hire a coach. I think there's certain aspects of my game that playing higher stakes a coach who plays high stakes could help me transition a lot faster than doing it on my own. The coaches for higher stakes charge a lot of money though. The guys I've been talking to charge anywhere from $250-$500/hour. Definitely reasonable prices, but it's probably going to take a good ten or more sessions to get what I want to get out of it, so I need to make sure I'm working with the right person.

With all the money I invest in other stuff, I think it'd probably be a great investment to invest in myself for poker, since it's my main source of income. Thinking about it, I'm really surprised I haven't already hired a coach to move to higher stakes. Hiring coaches from time to time is a no-brainer if you're trying to improve your income potential. The ROI is probably bigger than almost any investment out there. The tough part is finding the right coach for you, when you're looking.

So, probably going to try and pick a coach within the next week or two if I can. I'll post updates.

No comments: